Mentor of the Year
For the last two decades, we have been collecting good and bad practices of mentoring and anecdotes of Slovenian doctoral students and early career researchers. Since bad practices often gain more attention, we have decided to highlight the good ones instead. There are many mentors who take pride in their mentoring, are great at it, and deserve to be recognized for their contributions to nurturing early career researchers.
The purpose of the Mentor of the Year Award is to promote quality mentorship and good mentoring practices, as well as to give credit to individual excellent mentors. The Young Academy of Slovenia strives to make this award an integral part of the Slovenian academic milieu. In 2019, we awarded the Mentor of the Year for the tenth time in a row.
List of previous awardees
2018 – prof. dr. Barbara Koroušić Seljak (event gallery)
2017 – prof. dr. Primož Ziherl (event gallery)
2016 – prof. dr. Mario Poljak (event gallery)
2015 – prof. dr. Barbara Simončič (event gallery)
2014 – prof. dr. Marko Bajec
2013 – prof. dr. Zdravko Kutnjak
2012 – prof. dr. Boris Žemva
2011 – prof. dr. Igor Muševič
2010 – prof. dr. Domen Leštan
2009 – prof. dr. Janko Kos
Consider nominating your mentor for the Mentor of the Year Award as well!
Call for nominations
The call for nominations for the Mentor of the Year 2018 Award is now closed. You can preview the nomination form here.
Nominate your mentor
The deadline for nomination is February 15, 2019.
Information on the selection process
The applications are evaluated and ranked by a committee of 5 members, who are all doctoral students or have recently graduated. The committee for the selection of the Mentor of the Year 2018 consisted of:
- dr. Majda Pavlin (president of the committee)
- dr. Tadej Stepišnik Perdih
- Ahac Meden
- Zarja Muršič
- Matja Zalar
Each application will be evaluated and ranked by at least two evaluators. All evaluators are also doctoral students or have recently graduated. The number of evaluators depends on the number of received applications. The names will be known after the deadline for nominations and before the closing ceremony.
The evaluators for the Mentor of the Year 2018 Award were (in alphabetical order): Andreja Detiček, dr. Ida Djurdjevič, Maja Dolinar, dr. Kristjan Krebelj, Ahac Meden, Zarja Muršič, dr. Majda Pavlin, dr. Kristian Radan, dr. Tadej Stepišnik Perdih in Matja Zalar.
Selection criteria and process
Since the 2016 selection, the evaluation of applications is completely at the discretion of our evaluators and the committee. The process is as follows:
- All received nominations that are invalid or insufficient according to the List of Rules are excluded before the evaluation process.
- Each evaluator then receives up to 20 applications, which he/she grades from 1 to 5 according to predefined criteria. Each evaluator has a right to highlight up to two applications among those with highest grades that he/she considers appropriate for the final selection.
- The committee gathers the evaluators’ recommendations and chooses five finalists. Their decision is based on the evaluators’ opinions and the number of received applications per individual mentor.
- At a live meeting, the committee re-reads all the finalists’ applications and among them chooses the Mentor of the Year by voting.
The evaluation and selection procedures take place every year in the second half of February, and the winner is chosen at the end of the month. The closing ceremony takes place in mid-March.
List of rules
Pravilnik o podeljevanju priznanja Mentor leta (in Slovenian)